Recipe of the Week: Sausage Ricotta Pepperoni Pizza
August 28, 2017
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 (13.8-ounce can) refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 1 (8-ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
- 8 (1-ounce slices) fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet or pizza pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Working on a surface that has been sprinkled with cornmeal, roll out the pizza into a 12-inch-diameter round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Using a small ladle, spread pizza sauce over the surface of the dough in an even layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Top with sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella and dollops of ricotta.
- Place into oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheeses have melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with basil, if desired.