For the pork
- 1 kg de-boned, pork leg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
for the barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (you can also use Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
for the coleslaw
- 1 medium red cabbage, sliced/grated
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup good quality creamy mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- fresh bread rolls
- dill pickles/gherkins
- cold beer
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°c. For the pork, drizzle the olive oil over the leg of pork and rub the salt, pepper and paprika into the meat. Place in a greased baking dish and cover with foil.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 3 hours until the pork pulls apart easily.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before pulling the meat apart with two forks.
- To make the barbecue sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the pulled pork with the barbecue sauce and set aside.
- To make the coleslaw, combine the grated carrot, cabbage and parsley in a bowl. Mix together the mayo, yoghurt, lemon juice and salt. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss. If you want it sweeter, simply add more mayonnaise.
- To serve, place a few spoonfuls of pulled pork into a buttered bread roll, top with coleslaw and eat immediately.